I can only watch, read and write so much, so periodically I fall behind. I’m sorry, but I do have some extra time coming up, so expect me to be posting up a heck of a lot more stuff and far more regularly. Anyway, here’s what I think is important stuff that I have missed:
- Bryan Little agrees to 6-year extension with Jets | I really think Bryan Little is a very over-looked and under-rated player. He consistently puts up solid numbers and has been a solid leadership presence on what was once a very young Jets team. From the Jets’ perspective, I think they know what they are paying for, and got reasonable value for their money here. I believe a bit of it is a payment for past performance, but repaying loyalty is something I applaud.
- David Pastrnak signs 6-year, $40 million deal with Bruins | Boston got great value here. I am stunned that it took so long, as the Bruins had been offering pretty much this package from the very beginning. Either way, they needed to get this done, as Pastrnak is their most gifted offensive talent and a complement to Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand. Pastrnak’s camp showed class by accepting significantly less than the Leon Draisaitl numbers that had been bandied about in the press. He’ll still get a shot a bigger money as a UFA while he’s still in peak playing years.
- Clarke MacArthur fails medical test after concussion plagued seasons | With the Ottawa Senators saying that they don’t know why he failed, some have suggested they are trying to bury him on injured reserve a la Joffrey Lupul. I have a hard time believing that, as MacArthur has always been known as a good team guy, well liked and coach-friendly. Hopefully he gets better soon.
- Wild agree to terms with LW Foligno on 4-year, $11.5M deal | I think again, Minnesota got good value for an every occasion player who still has untapped upside. Foligno is nothing flashy, but fits in well as a third line winger who can move up if needed.
- Avalanche agree to 2-year deal with defenseman Nikita Zadorov | Second most urgent thing on Joe Sakic’s to-do list is now in the books. This in no way impacts the much discussion Duchene situation. Zadorov is one of those guys who I think could still bolt to Russia if he doesn’t see the Avalanche improving. He is too good of a player to waste of a team being run into the ground by an incompetent GM. This is really Sakic’s proving ground. If he mishandles Zadorov, he will be removed as GM. Write that down!
- Wild, captain Mikko Koivu agree to 2-year, $11 million deal | I think Koivu’s on the down-slope of his career, but out of respect for their captain, they paid more in order to pay him for less years. He will continue to be extended like this in perpetuity until he can play no longer. It is a decent value extension for both sides, and I think the next one will be around the $4.5 million mark.
Well, that’s the important stuff. I’ll be back to posting tomorrow, so until then, be safe and be sane! Well, at least safe!